Sunday, 30 September 2012

Seafood Chowder



Chowder always reminds of the time when my then-boyfriend MrD, who came back from a business trip in the US some nearly 30 years ago. He told me how awesome the food he had over there was, and the one in particular that stuck in my head was the seafood chowder.

Well, me being me, I saw this as a challenge.

So, one day, I took it upon myself to cook him this unfamiliar cream-base soup (probably much to my mom's annoyance -- well, to be fair, she did not say anything but her actions speak louder...hahaha, Mama, if you happen to read this, I LOVE YOU muy grande!)
Luckily for me, my mom loves to collect recipe books, so there was enough information and recipes for me to work with. You see, back then we had no web-based information, no internet to speak of, and my computer was a clunky 256kb pretty-much-useless piece of massive paperweight.
Research still had to be done at your friendly neighbourhood library.

Oh, you lucky, lucky lot nowadays!!!





 Seafood Chowder

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion , chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
800ml vegetable stock
500g new small potatoes , halved
pinch mace
1/2 tsp  cayenne powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
salmon
haddock
smoked haddock
mussels
100ml single cream
small bunch parsley




Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the onion is soft. Stir in the flour, then cook for a further 2 minutes.
Pour in the fish stock and bring it up to a gentle simmer.
Add the potatoes, cover, then simmer for 10-12 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
Add the mace, cayenne powder and white pepper and some seasoning.
Tip the fish mix into the pan, gently simmer for 4 minutes.
Add the cream and mussels, then simmer for 1 minute more.
Check the seasoning and sprinkle with some finely chopped parsley.